Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Want to Emigrate to Britain? Please First Turn and Cough.

As part of its pre-General Election posturing, the Tory Party has proposed a set of new immigration laws which contain such "radical" and "discriminatory" components as mandatory testing for HIV and TB.

Radical? Discriminatory? Human rights proponents here and in the EU claim that medical screening for these two highly infectious and deadly diseases would be discriminatory and violate an individual's human rights. This is a screening process which has been in place for years in many countries, including Australia, Canada, and the United States - and to which Sarah went through without complaint when she first emigrated to the U.S.

I didn't realize that it was my unalienable RIGHT to live and work in the United Kingdom without having to meet any settlement criteria. Foolish me! I thought that I was here at the PRIVILEGE and pleasure of Her Majesty's government.

No comments: