Sunday, February 13, 2005

Food, Glorious Food

Chef Jamie Oliver has produced another food-oriented television program, which will soon begin airing on the UK’s Channel Four. On the heels of a previous program that documented his opening of the restaurant 15, where he trains disadvantaged young people to be professional chefs, this new series follows Chef Oliver’s attempt to improve the quality of lunches served at a South London public school, while remaining on the already established (and appalling) daily budget of 37 pence (approximately 60 cents) per student.

Apparently, it was a lot easier to develop a healthy and flavorful menu than it was to convince a junk food bred generation of students (and parents) to embrace this experiment. Viewers tuning into the show have been promised scenes of parents handing food from McDonalds through the school’s railings to their children, while yelling at Chef Oliver, “Oi! Are you responsible for that menu? It’s crap!”

That single parental statement speaks volumes about why there is an obesity problem in both the UK and the US. By the way, I am happy to report that the recent physical exam conducted by my new general practitioner shows that my cholesterol count is at a healthy level and I weigh an equally healthy 185 pounds. I do miss the Smoke House restaurant (and their world-renown garlic cheese bread), back in Burbank, however.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Ah the smoke house...

I could always go pick you up some bread...but then, I don't think it would make it through the shipping...even if I overnighted it.